Sunday, September 13, 2015

A Boy's Adventures in the Land of the Fae: Brainstorming Styles

In my storybook, I want to combine several ideas that interest me.  First I want to compose stories that I can share with my son. Second, I want there to be an overarching moral that teamwork and intelligence are the best tools in any battle.  Third, I really like Irish mythology and what child doesn't like monsters and fairies?  The main protagonist will be a young boy who lives with his mother, father, and grandfather. I want him to meet a different creature in each story and, with the help of his family and his wits, defeat them.

First Fairy Encounter: Changelings
The devil exchanging a baby against a changeling, early 15th century, by Martino di Bartolomeo Source: Wikimedia Commons

Inspirations: The Stolen Child by W.B. Yeats & Jamie Freel and the Young Lady: A Donegal Tale. by Miss Letitia MacLintock

When I was reading the stolen child, the beautiful imagery painted a picture in my mind.  I could see a curious child, lured away by a beautiful fairy, walking through the gorgeous Irish hills towards his fate, bathed in the glowing moonlight.  I can imagine a village, devastated by the mysterious loss of several children. But what I don't get from this poem is a story line.

That's exactly what I got when I read Jaime Freel's story. In this tale, the loyal Jamie seeks out the fey in a nearby castle. During the night's revelry, they kidnap a beautiful young girl and replace her with a changeling.  Using his wits, Jamie is able to rescue the girl and outsmart the fairies.

I would like to combine these stories to fit into my framework.  Jaime and his mother will be much younger and live in a small village plagued by fairy kidnappings.  Jamie's father will be away on a voyage and his grandfather will live with them in their small cottage.  One night Jamie is lured away by one of the hill folk. Once there, he will find the children and outsmart all the fey. This will start the major conflict between Jamie (if I keep that name) and the Fey Queen. She will send Jamie on several quests to make up for the insult to the Fey, but he won't have to do it on his own.

The first quest: Banshee maybe?

On the first quest, Jamie will travel with his wise and beloved grandfather. I like the idea of having his grandfather along for the banshee tale because Jamie's grandfather will be humorously hard of hearing. The banshee will be guarding something that the queen wants or maybe something that was stolen from her.  After reading A Lamentation by Clarence Mangan, I started thinking about the banshee's story.  Who is she grieving for? In my story, the treasure the queen seeks belonged to a wise king killed by the fairy. Devastated by grief, the king's daughter becomes a banshee and eternally morns her father.  Jamie and his grandfather will approach and comfort the banshee.  They will talk about her lost father and share memories.  In the end, the banshee will be relieved of her endless lamentation and Jamie can retrieve the treasure. I'm still looking for a specific story for this part.

The second quest: At sea? The Kelpie

Photo of Kelpie sculpture in Falkirk, Scotland by Natasha Cherkashina Source: Flikr

For the second quest, Jamie's father will have returned home from the sea voyage. The queen will charge them with a task that will take them to the coast (or an island maybe) to the lair of a dangerous kelpie. They will have to retrieve some treasure.  I think I will have the father and son witness a kelpie charming a young woman into the sea. They will follow and rescue her. Still looking for a specific story for this one. (Cut off finger to escape? Have queen restore it?)

The final quest: The Giant
Photo of the Giant's Causeway in Ireland by Virtuaalianu, Source: Flickr

For the final and most task, Jamie must travel to the land of giants and rescue the Fey Queen's own son.  Feeling sorry for the Fey Queen, Jamie's mother agrees to the task and travels with her son to rescue the fairy boy.  For this story, I was inspired by the story of the THE GIANT'S STAIRS by T. Crofton Croker.

In the end, the Fairy Queen will be eternally grateful to young Jamie and his family. He and all his descendants will be blessed with riches, luck, and protection forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment