Sunday, September 13, 2015

Week 3 Review

When browsing the Course Announcements page I came across the "Word from Mythology" page about Atlas.  It was really interesting to read about the origin of the word atlas as a collection of maps but it also brought to mind another usage. I love this myth because of the personal connection I have with it every day in anatomy.  The first cervical vertebrae in humans and other animals is called atlas because it supports the skull.  Everytime I see this bone, I picture Atlas holding up a massive head. Lol.  A little silly I know. So there is another meaning for the word Atlas that connects wonderfully to the myth!

Atlas in the fountain at Castle Howard                            The first cervical vertebrae in humans Source: Wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment