Sunday, August 30, 2015

Week 1: Curation

Setting up bookmarks for this class was a relatively quick and easy task but it is a browser feature I very rarely use.  In fact when perusing my other bookmarks, I found a wealth of forgotten material that I had “planned to read later.”  Well, two years later, its still there. Unread, neglected…forgotten.  Hopefully I can do better with this class. 

Typically I use a system of folders on my desktop to keep track of assignments and reading material for my classes.  During the semester, each class gets its own folder complete with subfolders for class materials, schedules, assignments, images, and outside sources.  After finals week the folders are condensed into another folder for the entire semester, then buried in the catch-all folder called “school.” 

A very important resource that I discovered recently is EndNote.  This software is available through the university and allows you to store, catalogue, and organizes online sources.  You can create a separate EndNote library for each class and collaborate with other students by sharing libraries.  Most online journals and the OU library site allow have a link next to entries that allows you to import source information into the EndNote library and even store PDF copies of the entire document.  My favorite feature of EndNote is that it auto populates your Works Cited/Bibliography page and formats all citations in a click of the mouse.  You can quickly switch between citation styles and avoid transcription errors.  If you are anything like me, and struggle with the citation styles of multiple disciplines, this software will save your sanity.  Trust me and download it now before your next writing assignment!


Of the curation tools mentioned, I only use Pinterest and very rarely use it for classes. Yes, there are many, many recipes on my Pinterest account.  Twitter was mandatory for a class last semester but I cannot commit to using it.  I feel like I waste enough time online and don’t need another social network to check obsessively but maybe I just need to find a new way of using it.  I’m going to try using the class Twitter to explore the social network a little more and hopefully use it productively for this class.  I have never heard or tried Known but I will check it out, as it seems like a great tool for sharing information. 

(From Social Media: Friend or Foe, Source Lynette Noni)

No comments:

Post a Comment