Monday, October 12, 2015

Reflections: Looking Back

This class has really broadened my technological horizons, though that’s not saying much. I had no idea how to create a blog, not even a simple one, and was unfamiliar with Google sites. Now I make blog entries several times a week and I’m learning how to enrich my posts with images and hyperlinks.  Things I have learned from the MF class have helped me in other classes as well. I now use bookmarks for my other classes and the curation exercises have helped prepare me for the presentations required in my capstone class.

I have to say that the reading assignments have been one of my most favorite parts of the class. I’m already an avid reader and have always had an affinity for fairy/folk tales.  The reading assignments have offered me a low-stress opportunity to indulge both of these interests and I love the variety of stories available in the unTextbook.

I have continually been surprised by the diversity of backgrounds among the students of this class.  For once, not everyone in my class is pre-med or a biology major. It is so refreshing to learn about the different roots and aspirations of my classmates. I have also enjoyed noticing the reflection of individual personalities within the creative writings of other students. I enjoy the learning about others through their introduction post but I wish there was more back and forth between us.  I feel that more extensive dialog is necessary to really get to know another person. With this class, I feel like I get a glimpse into the lives of others but I don’t get to make the types of connections in traditional classrooms.

I’m ashamed to say that I still do not have a set schedule for this class. Readings are done in snatches of time between classes or late at night after I’ve put my son to bed. Likewise, I write stories late in the night or very early in the morning before the rest of the house is awake. I continue to make adjustments and try to find something that works the best to balance all my classes with work and family time. Much of my writing is done at home but at school, I have two favorite spots.  If the weather is nice, I drive down to Reeve’s Park and find a nice shady place to sit. Being outside really helps me focus and relax. I the weather is not so accommodating, I curl up in a comfortable chair in the library and try to tune out the voices of other students.

Although I haven't completed many growth mindset challenges this semester, the messages have stuck with me.  I have worked hard to reframe my successes and failures in such a way that inspires growth instead of stagnation or resignation.  I continually remind myself that by returning to school, I've already overcome my past failure. Being a returning student doesn't make me a failure. It shows my hard work and determination to return despite obstacles.  

(Growth Mindset Meme, Souce: Afineparent.com)



I’m really excited about and proud of the work I’m doing with my storybook.  I use the weekly readings to learn about different storyteller voices and imagine how I might incorporate different techniques into my own writing. I can’t wait to share the finished product with my son although I doubt I will ever get him to stay still long enough!

(Personal Photo of my son Garrett)


Yes he jumped of mere seconds after I snapped this photo but my husband made an epic "dad save." No children were harmed in the taking of this photo. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment