Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Reading Evaluation

I'm sad to see the end of the semester if only because there is so much more I would like to explore from this class. Luckily the UnTextbook is a free resource and I can continue to visit it in the future. :) There is more than enough quality material here to keep me busy for the next 6 months, which I plan to spend at home with my son.

So down to the specifics

* What readings did you like best?
I have enjoyed many of the stories a read this semester including "Billy Duffy and the Devil," "A Clever Lass," "The Fairies of Caragonan," "The Vision of MacConglinney," "The Disobedient Daughter Who Married a Skull," "The Two Travelers", and "Apuleius's Golden Ass" among many others.

In fact the only stories I did not enjoy where the ones I did not understand. I think that in several of the stories, details and meanings are lost in translation. Without the cultural context and original language, the stories loose something. Events and actions seem incongruous and the reader can't make the same connections the author intended.  

* What reading diary strategies were most effective for you?

I tried several different strategies from summarizing, to bullet points, to more complex analysis and finally settled on writing about how the stories made me feel.  I think that helped me remember and connect with the stories the most. What was I curious about? Whose voice did I want to hear? What other perspectives could I see if from? Also, if I had any knowledge of the culture of time period the piece originated in, I tried to connect details or techniques from the story to the culture. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to search out all this information.

* What did you think of the overall balance between reading - writing - commenting in the class assignments?

I often felt like my comments were forced or hurried. That may be partly my fault but I think it is common among other students as well. When I really took the time to digest someone else's work and put down honest praise or constructive criticism, I really enjoyed commenting. Unfortunately, I almost never got a reply when I did that. Commenting was often shallow and meaningless. I loved writing and I would have like to do that more but the small blog post entries were not my favorite. I preferred storytelling posts and the storybook projects. 
  
* As you look back from the end of the semester, what advice about the reading do you have for students who will be getting started next semester? 

Have a plan and pick and choose what assignments you plan to do. If you focus on fewer projects, you can produce more quality work instead of cranking out countless subpar assignments.  You are graded for completing this class, so what you get out of the experience is up to you. Make sure that the work you do is worth it and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment