Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Reflection

This class has encouraged me to write again if only by the force of copious writing assignments. Fortunately, it has also reminded me how much I can enjoy writing and creating another world in my mind.  Reading is still my favorite but creating my own stories has given me a new appreciation for the skill and effort that goes into storytelling.

This semester I have surprised myself with my creativity and the effortless flow of ideas that can come with it. When the story takes me, I can write for hours and hours. Which, in turn, leads to hours and hours of editing. But that's okay because in the end you can really come out with something you are proud of. I'm proud of the stories I have told in this class, some more than others, and I want to continue writing. Even if it is only for myself and my son, storytelling is always worthwhile.

This class has also helped improve my writing technically. At least I am able to recognize the over use of passive voice and reduce wordy sentences. Reading my own and the work of others has helped me develop a more critical eye. Everyone can benefit by becoming a better writer and this class has certainly helped me in that pursuit.

Finally, the use of growth mindset in this class has helped me improve my writing tremendously. Not only has it helped me find motivation and sources of inspiration but it has challenged me to try new techniques and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment