Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Reading Diary B: Czech Folktales



Reading Diary B



1. The Man Who Met Misery

2. Nine At A Blow

3. A Clever Lass

4. The Soldier and the Devil

5. Old Nick and Kitty

6. The Knight Bambus

7. Francis and Martin

8. Three Supernatural Stories


I think “The Man Who Met Misery,” has a lot of interesting details in it. Francis finally learned what sacrifice meant when he gave up his finger to save his life. One of the Kelpie tales I read described how to escape a kelpie, the victim may have to cut off a finger magically attached to the creature’s mane. I was surprised to see a similar scenario in a Czech Fairy Tale.

I found a lot of inspiration in “Nine at a Blow.” In this story, a tailor outsmarts a giant and is ultimately rewarded by the king. I like the way the challenges are presented and I may use a similar format when Jamie meets the giant in my final story.

“The Clever Lass” has been one of my favorite stories this semester. I love to see intelligent heroines in folklore.

(Vodyanoy, similar to a waternick. Source:Wikipedia)


I was glad to see another mention of Waternicks in the last story. It seems like these creatures are relatively benign. The waternicks in the first unit stole souls but treated the children they captured fairly well. The waternick is this story seems a bit rude but the bear took care of him nicely.


Story source: The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis (1922).

No comments:

Post a Comment