Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Celtic Fairy Tales II

Myth-Folklore Unit: More Celtic Fairy Tales

READING A

1. The Fate of the Children of Lir
This was the most somber story of the unit and more in line with what I expected from the unit.  It's tragic and beautiful though.

2. The Vision of MacConglinney
This has been one of my favorite stories this class.  All the talk about bacon kept me laughing! It also sparked my imagination. When I read this story, I imagined MacConglinney as a con man. The story would be so much fun if MacConglinney and the demon were in cohoots.  I can't wait to rewrite my version. I plan to use my own favorite foods in place of the one's in the original story. Buttermilk just isn't my thing.  Ice cream on the other hand.

As far as the orignial goes, I find myself identifying with King Cathal. I have a voracious appetite and often eat more than seems humanly possible. It must have been tortuous to listen to MacConglinney's tale after fasting all night. The description of the demon in King Cathal's mouth reminded me of Cymothoa exigua, or the tongue eating louse. It's a small parasite that infects fish by swimming in through their gills. It then travels to the oral cavity where it eats and replaces the tongue!!!
(Cymothoa exigua, aka the stuff of nightmares)



3. Dream of Owen O'Mulready
I found this story humorous as well

4. The Story of the McAndrew Family
I can't help but feel sorry for the McAndrew brothers.  O'Toole just kept taking advantage of them.

Story source: More Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1895).

1 comment:

  1. Kalin, if you didn't have time for the reading today, count this as the Thursday reading. Do the post now so you will have something for storytelling... but count the reading diary post for Thursday. You are too late for it to count for Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete